Unique Israeli Company CartiHeal Gets CE for Cartilage Defect Repair |

Unique Israeli Company CartiHeal Gets CE for Cartilage Defect Repair

Unique Israeli Company CartiHeal Gets CE Mark (Biloine Young @ OTW)

An Israeli company has received CE Mark certification for the EU for a cartilage defect repair product, based solely on a preclinical trial. The company is CartiHeal Ltd and the product is Agili-C. Nir Altschuler, a biomedical engineer who founded the company in 2009, said, “It is very unusual to obtain CE Mark without clinical trials, but the preclinical trial results were good enough.” He established the company based on a concept discovered at Ben Gurion University of the Negev. The product is also certified in Israel.

Agili-C is produced in two parts. One is made of aragonite, and the other is made of aragonite and hyaluronic acid. Both are biocompatible and biodegradable. The product does not include living tissue, in contrast to other products under development. “We found that these materials attract stem cells from the bone marrow, so that only cells in aragonite area turn into bone, and cells in the area of the aragonite and hyaluronic acid turn into cartilage,” says Altschuler.

The Agili-C, an articular cartilage and osteochondral defect repair product, is implanted through minimally invasive surgery, similar to an injection, he says. “The cells gradually dissolve the implant, and within a short time, the implant can bear the body’s weight and regular activity can be resumed.”

While the cartilage reconstruction market is experimental, company officials believe that it is promising. Companies that are developing stem cell-based products include Israel’s Carticure Ltd., Regentis Biomaterials Ltd., and Prochon Biotech Ltd., which merged with a U.S. company last year and is believed by observers to be the closest to bringing a product to market.

Companies in the cartilage reconstruction segment estimate the market at $1.6 billion a year, although most products remain experimental. CartiHeal has raised $5 million from Accelmed, the fund of Moshe (Mori) Arkin and Uri Geiger, and Access Medical Ventures, a U.S. fund run by Israelis Limor Sandach, Dvir Keren, and Michael Tal. CartiHeal is a graduate of Peregrine Ventures’ Incentive Technological Incubator.

10 responses to Unique Israeli Company CartiHeal Gets CE for Cartilage Defect Repair

1. Lynette Helleer February 12th, 2013 at 6:36 am

Please respond to me I have an 86 year old father who cannot walk properly and is in daily constant pain because of no cartlage in knees. He fears having conventional surgery. Would he be a good candidate for your treatment?

2. Dr Derek Feifke, Boston, MA March 3rd, 2013 at 5:58 pm

Please comment on potential efficacy of Agili-C in the elderly, or is it indicated for younger, healthier, individuals?
    Dr Feifke

3. Paul Tenenbaum March 18th, 2013 at 12:03 pm

I am 84 years old and a Holocaust survivor.My left knee is very bad shape, movement and pain.
    Does your product work as well on shoulders?
    If everything works out, when will the product be available in the USA. I will sow the articles to my orthopedic surgeon who has replaced one knee but I do not wish to go through this procedure again. I have ostheo arthritis. THANK YOU.

4. Donald Inglis April 8th, 2013 at 4:36 pm

Wow. What a blessing! I am 50 years old and hurt my knee at the US Air Force Academy in 1981. I have been bone to bone on the inner half of my left knee for 16 years. Every step is unstable and painful. I only get so many steps a day. I have wanted to work with bioEngineers for years for a better solution than total replacement. I would love to join in the development of this product.

5. Thasos Papoui May 5th, 2013 at 3:05 pm

I am 34 years old from Cyprus . I have for 15 years lax PCL and ACL from un accident causing problems to the cartilage. I fix the ligaments , and now I am looking forward to repair the cartilage. I have a small defect and some early thinning, According my doctor that operate my ligaments and the 2011 MRI. If I am a good candidate please reply.

6. K Tat May 27th, 2013 at 2:58 pm

I am 25 years old and have cartilage damage in both knees. I noticed it two months ago when I had dull pains. Now both of my knees grind and pop. I am really interested in CartiHeal. I am in the US but would be willing to travel if I had a chance at trying this out.

7. Susan Harrison July 19th, 2015 at 5:51 am

Are clinical trials anywhere in Michigan ?

8. Jorge Banzer May 10th, 2016 at 5:14 pm

Where can I get it?

9. Jim January 10th, 2017 at 1:47 am

I am 43 and have moderate to severe osteoarthritis in my knee and shoulder. Would love to participate in this trial. Anything would be better than living with this pain. Will travel

10. Marciano Reyes January 18th, 2017 at 9:13 am

My wife is also suffering from knee osteoarthritis , I willingly and voluntarily agree submit for experiment operation. She’s in pain always specially during cold season .
    Thank you very much .