“I need an Engineer.”
I hear this request often. Ortho executives call and say… “I need an Engineer”.
This is the wrong question… an Engineer is not an Engineer.
Ortho leaders have a tendency to jump to the solution. This is completely normal. We all do it. We have a budget slot for an Engineer so you want someone with that title.
Think about it differently… What problem are you trying to solve?
Instead of filling a on Engineering chair, you may actually need…
- a predictable pipeline of new products
- more creativity or the ability to solve a specific engineering problem
- someone who can convert a specific surgeon’s ideas into new products
- a leader who is a great interface between marketing, sales and surgeons
- an organized and detail-oriented project leader for an especially large new project
- a coach/mentor for the younger engineers.