Has a Spanish startup finally solved the ACL tunnel fixation problem?
It’s early, but very promising. 50 surgeries so far in EU, with 20 of them more than one-year followup. No issues so far. 2022 will see the beginning of a clinical study and a 510K submission.
Website – https://abanzamed.com/en/products/knee/
The WasherCap™ family of devices has been designed to answer the high requirements of soft-tissue graft fixation. WasherCap provides a combination of strength and stiffness, to ensure proper graft osseointegration and preserve its biomechanical properties.
The system has been designed for procedures involving spongy bone, where bone quality is softer, and a specific fixation is required to obtain the optimal clinical outcome.
BENEFITS AND FEATURES
The design and components (Cap, Screw and Washer) of the WasherCap allows a complete entrapment of the soft-tissue graft inside the device, so there is no dependance on the quality of the patient’s cancellous bone. WasherCap™ is the best ally for a safe and reliable soft-tissue graft fixation:
- Not dependent of the cancellous bone quality: the inner imprisonment of the graft into the device makes the fixation independent of the patient’s Bone Mineral Density which is a critical and uncontrollable factor during graft fixation.
- Maximum fixation strength and highly reliable: WasherCap provides graft fastening with optimal load resistance (up to 50% higher than current interference screw) and minimal deviation*, promoting safer recovery.
- Soft-tissue graft protection: prevents threading against the soft tissue graft. The screw-washer assembly prevents screw transmission to the graft, preserving its tension and integrity.
- Easy to control and adjust graft tension.
- Avoids device displacement under cyclical loads thanks to its cortical implantation.
- Provides tunnel plugging
- Surgical technique: together with the associated instrument set, the fixation of the new graft with the WasherCap device is easily reproducible. WasherCap can be used in both primary and revision ACL surgeries, where the tunnel may be damaged.